Contact Hours / Week:
AIM OF THE COURSE
This is a studio art course that develops skills and techniques in acrylics, pastels and mixed media paintings.
This course is about painting issues and their evolution into the twenty first century related to art. Students will work throughout the semester learning and practicing observational painting techniques discovering how the artist creates and composes. It is the goal of this course to provide, in addition to the skill and knowledge necessary to make dynamic paintings, a background in aesthetics and history. Each student is expected to build upon a good foundation of drawing, design and color theory.
As a result of successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Develop understanding of history, major styles and contemporary issues in painting.
- Foster a working knowledge of the materials and methods of the acrylic.
- Painting process: Employ safe and ecologically sound painting and disposal practices.
- Participate in exercises and studies to enhance a greater understanding and appreciation of how color, value, and compositional form relate to content.
- Further develop critical and creative thinking capabilities regarding artwork, painting theories, and methodologies.
- Consider and incorporate knowledge of historical and contemporary art styles and approaches in relation to desired personal vision and direction.
- Demonstrate advances in technical skill and compositional planning, insight, and resolution.
- The main portion of learning is gained from direct, observable work experience in the class.
- Reading Assignments from text and supplemental material.
- A lecture/presentation including visual examples will precede each project assignment.
- After the project has been assigned, individual and group assistance is given when needed.
- Discussions and critiques are designed to encourage student participation and self evaluation
- Field trips to museums and galleries, including daily exposure to works exhibited in Instructional Gallery, will supplement classroom experiences.
- Dialogue will take place with exhibiting artists and guest speakers when available.
High Quality Education with Reasonable & Affordable Prices
Apply NOW and Benefit from Financial AID program