FURNITURE DESIGN I
Contact Hours / Week:
AIM OF THE COURSE
The course surveys the evolution of furniture styles, decorative elements and motifs, and interior design. The course is an introduction to the history of furniture design, decoration, and interior design inclusive of the Ancient World period, Classical World period, and middle Ages the Renaissance Period, the New World, and the Modern World. The student explores design choices and critically analyzes existing designs based on historical information. This course prepares students to participate in designing in a broader context.
This course provides the students with experience in critical thinking, reasoning in examining design elements and styles in a global context. Students learn problem solving and creativity in making design decisions for clients. Written and graphic communication skills are enhanced through development of the notebook assignment.
To recognize furniture styles, decorative elements and motifs, and interior design components specific to a historical period.
- To name period styles of furniture and decorative arts from the Ancient World, the Classical World, and the Middle Ages till contemporary, and modern styles.
- To identify the stylistic development of furniture styles, decorative elements as a reflection of changing influences in the social, cultural and technological context.
- To recognize the relationship of social and political influences in the designed environment.
- To reproduce accurate interior designs in museum settings for historic preservation and conservation.
- To be introduced to furniture designers and their view, approaches…..
- To value design differences that lead to global consciousness and appreciation for alternative points of view of cultural diversity.
- PowerPoint presentations that include illustrations to support lecture
- Guest speaker/s (local and regional artisans)
- Video/CD presentations
- Field trips to museums galleries and other locations
High Quality Education with Reasonable & Affordable Prices
Apply NOW and Benefit from Financial AID program