CONSTRUCTION & FINISHES
Contact Hours / Week:
AIM OF THE COURSE
This course is a survey of materials used by interior designers for architectural elements and finishes for both residential and public space design. The student will learn to evaluate and select the appropriate materials for a design project, and will be introduced to life safety ratings for finish materials. The student will be introduced to manufactures and suppliers of materials through field trips, guest speakers, manufacturers’ catalogues and research. The student will be introduced to writing specifications for interior design materials.
The objective or the course to provide the student with the knowledge materials and finishes construction as well as provide an understanding of their properties and how to apply their on site.
- List and describe the various materials used as architectural elements in an interior and the various materials applied to those elements as finishes.
- Explain the impact of life safety codes, universal design and sustainability issues on the selection of finish materials.
- Describe construction techniques, installation methods and maintenance methods for finish materials.
- Identify resources that will provide product information and materials samples as well as resources that will provide and install materials for a design project.
- Write a specification for materials for a project, using the standard format used by design professionals.
- Select appropriate materials and finishes for residential and public space design projects based on: Quality and design, Maintenance and durability, Construction and manufacturing techniques, Life safety codes and sustainability issues.
- Lectures and guest speakers provides immediate, on-the-spot feedback on how students are learning from a lecture or a demonstration, It also encourages students to become self-monitoring listeners and self-reflective learners.
- Hands on material projects were the student will have to select the right materials that they will use in their project.
- Evaluations and research allows students to develop valuable research skills. The students engage in design, problem solving, decision making, and investigative activities.
- Writing specifications for interior design materials.
- Student teams are selected to research and prepare a project brief and class presentation about current products and projected trends in specific areas of the course material.
- Small in-class projects reinforce methods of researching and specifying materials in interior environments.
High Quality Education with Reasonable & Affordable Prices
Apply NOW and Benefit from Financial AID program